Jonathan Covell (Erickson line) was born on 14 Feb 1748/9 in Dover, Norfolk, Massachusetts to James Covell and Sarah Grover. He was christened on 26 Feb 1749/50 at the South Killingly Congregational Church in Killingly, Connecticut. He married Mary Pickens in 1773 in Dover, Dutchess, New York, USA. Jonathan and Mary are my 5th great-grandparents.
Mary was born about 1747 in Massachusetts . Nothing is known of her parentage or ancestry.
During the American Revolution, Jonathan served as a private in the Captain Samuel Hodges Company, Colonel Lewis Van Woert's Regiment (16th Regiment), Albany County Militia . He is also listed in the Albany County Militia Land Bounty Rights for the 14th Regiment . After the war he settled in Washington County, New York and according to census records lived there the rest of his life.
Mary died on 22 Aug 1816 in Hartford, Washington, New York . She was buried in the Old Hartford Cemetery .
After Mary's death, Jonathan remarried to Patience Mercer on 21 Jun 1817 in Troy, Rensselaer, New York.
Jonathan signed a will on 30 May 1829  and died on 24 Jul 1831 in Hartford, Washington, New York . He was buried next to his first wife Mary in the Old Hartford Cemetery . In Aug 2008, a grave marker for Jonathan could not be located. Only a marker for Mary was found. His estate is in probate on 15 Oct 1831 in Washington County, New York [5, 6].
Children of Jonathan Covell and Mary Pickens:
1) Sally Covell  was born in 1774 in Hartford, Washington, New York. She married John Cummins. She died before 1860 in Ridgebury, Bradford, Pennsylvania.
2) James Covell, Sr. was born on 08 Mar 1777 in Washington County, New York . He married 1st Rebecca B. Pierce about 1797 and 2nd Hannah Scribner Courtwright after 1848. He died on 21 Mar 1865 in Bentley Creek, Bradford, Pennsylvania and was buried at Ashland Cemetery in Wellsburg, Chemung, New York .
3) John Covell was born in 1779 in New York. He died after 22 Feb 1804.
4) Mary Covell  was born on 02 Sep 1781 in Bennington, Bennington, Vermont. She married Calvin Townsend. She died on 31 May 1867.
5) William Covell  was born on 26 Feb 1783 in Westfield, Washington, New York. He married Elizabeth Pickens. He died on 24 Sep 1843 in South Hartford, Washington, New York and was buried at Old Hartford Cemetery .
 Cemetery Records, The Town of Hartford, Washington County, New York, Historical Data Services, Queensbury, NY. Page 58, Old Hartford Cemetery.
 Roberts, James A., New York in the Revolution as Colony and State, Second Edition, Press of Brandow Printing Company, 1898. Page 131, Albany County Militia - Sixteenth Regiment.
 Ibid. Page 235, Albany County Militia Land Bounty Rights - Fourteenth Regiment.
 Probate Court Records of Washington County, New York. Will Book A1, page 270.
 Ibid. Will Book A2, page 158.
 Tice, Joyce M., Tri-Counties Genealogy and History. Cemetery Record for Ashland Cemetery, Chemung County, Page 4 (Comstock to Dean).