Recently a woman named Thea who lives in the Netherlands contacted me about van der Klok family history. She is distantly related through a sibling of my 3rd great-grandfather Tiete van der Klok who stayed in Holland when Tiete came to America. She was able to offer some additional information to push this line further back. In addition, she pointed me to a few websites in the Netherlands where one can download original Dutch records for births, deaths, etc. What a blessing!
Things I have learned:
- Tiete's father Steven is the man with whom the van der Klok surname originated. When Napoleon ruled Holland, he ordered that everyone take a surname. (Prior to this, your surname was essentially your father's first name.) Steven Derks chose the surname van der Klok, and that is how we have known his descendants since then. The reason for his choice of surname is not known.
- Steven Derks van der Klok was baptized on 11 Aug 1782 in Loppersum, Groningen, Netherlands. This date also corrected his approximate birth date which was apparently incorrect before.
- Steven's parents were Derk Okkes and Anje Stevens.
- Derk was baptized on 30 Jan 1735 in Woltersum, Groningen, Netherlands. He died before 1805. He was married first to Bauke Seebes on 05 Apr 1772 in Loppersum, Groningen, Netherlands. He married Anje on 13 Nov 1779 in Loppersum, Groningen, Netherlands. Derk and Anje had 7 children.
- Anje was baptized on 17 Mar 1754 in Loppersum, Groningen, Netherlands. She died on 29 May 1820 in Huizinge, Groningen, Netherlands. Anje married second Jacob Willems on 19 May 1805 in Loppersum, Groningen, Netherlands.
- Derk's parents were Okke Sijmens and Anje Derks.
- Anje's parents were Steven Pieters and Aagtje Jans
- Returning to Steven's wife Menje Reinders, she was baptized on 21 Oct 1781 in Garsthuizen (Stedum), Groningen, Netherlands.
- Steven and Menje were married on 23 Oct 1806 in Westeremden (Stedum), Groningen, Netherlands.
- Menje's parents were Jan Reinders and Aafke Addens.
- Aafke was baptized on 07 Oct 1742 in Loppersum, Groningen, Netherlands. She died on 09 Dec 1808 in Loppersum, Groningen, Netherlands.
- Aafke's parents were Adde Aijlts and Geertje Rienjes.